NGC 281 - The Pacman Nebula - Stock Canon Xsi


Above: NGC 281, The Pacman Nebula - Imaged Monday., Nov 3, 2013

 20 subs 5 Minutes Each totaling 1 Hour, 40 Minutes
PHOTO DETAILS

Scope: Explore Scientific ED80 with WO Flat III 0.8x FR/FF
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro Synscan
Guiding: Meade DSI Pro II and PHD Guiding
Guide Scope: Orion Mini 50mm
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Stock)
ISO: 1600
Exposure: 1 hours 40 minutes (20 x 300s)
Processing Software: Calibration and Stacking in Deep Sky Stacker, Levels/Curves/Enhancements in Photoshop CC
Support Files: 15 darks
This is a great time of year for astrophotography, with the nights beginning so early and lasting so long.  The downside of course, is the frigid temperatures. Luckily I have a reasonable winter setup for imaging that includes a small space heater and a lot of warm clothing. I am able to enter a small shed and hangout while my camera fires away. The temperature dropped to -3 on Sunday night, great for imaging.

I have never shot the Pacman Nebula before. To be honest, I had no idea a stock DLSR could pick up so much red in this object. Cassiopeia rises nice and high in the evening this time of year, so imaging NGC 281 is a popular target right now. I am very happy with the way this DSO has turned out so far, even with the limited time I have put on it. I was also surprised at it's size, comparable to the Eagle Nebula in my 80mm scope.
Frozen astrophotography equipment cases
My frozen Cases at my Dark Sky Site